Development Director Vacancy
IBT (the International Broadcasting Trust) works with the media to ensure that audiences remain engaged with global issues. We are membership-based with 45 member organisations, including Oxfam, Christian Aid, Islamic Relief, WWF, Practical Action and others working on issues related to international development and climate change.
Our activities are focused in three main areas:
- Capacity building – we organise media briefings, training and networking events to enable our members to work more effectively with the media
- Advocacy – to maintain and strengthen the range and quality of international content produced by the main public service broadcasters
- Research – we publish regular research reports that inform our members about media trends and/or provide an evidence base for our advocacy
We are seeking a Development Director. You should be someone with a strong interest in our mission, a knowledge and understanding of international development and the role that the media plays in making global issues accessible to a range of audiences. This is a new role and we are open to developing it according to skills of the best candidate. We are a small team and are looking for someone who is flexible and able to work across the full range of our activities. Experience of either media/comms or advocacy is essential.
- Advocacy – developing our advocacy strategy so that IBT can be more effective in its engagement with the UK media regulator, Ofcom, the DCMS, public service broadcasters, parliamentarians and our member organisations.
- Membership – helping to grow our membership and diversify our income by building relationships with INGOs, trusts, foundations and other interested parties.
- Communications – contributing to the development of our communications strategy so that we can build a community of stakeholders with a long-term commitment to IBT.
Essential skills and experience
- Experience of developing and implementing an advocacy or communications/media relations strategy in an NGO context
- Experience of devising and implementing business development strategies, preferably in a membership organisation
- A self-starter who uses their initiative who can work with limited supervision but with good judgement regarding matters needing the Director’s involvement and knowledge
- Understanding the context in which our members work
- Understanding of the public broadcasting landscape in the UK
- Knowledge of international development issues
- A solutions-oriented mindset
- Enthusiasm for learning and developing
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Shares the values of IBT with a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
Desirable skills and experience
- A developed network of contacts in NGOs, public broadcasting, media regulators
- Experience of working in a B2B membership organisation
- Experience of commissioning research and dissemination of research reports
This is a permanent position for someone who wishes to work the equivalent of two and a half days per week. The salary will be paid pro rata and based on a full-time salary of £50,000 pa. There is some flexibility in how these hours are distributed across the week. There will be four weeks annual holiday and the office will be closed between Christmas and New Year. IBT will register you as a member of the NEST pension scheme and will make a payment equivalent to 3% of your pensionable earnings into the scheme. You will have the opportunity to make additional voluntary contributions.
Most of the work can be done remotely, but the successful candidate will be required to attend occasional meetings and events in London. The other principal team members are based in London and Newcastle. We have an office in Old Street, but will be relocating to Borough in March.
If you wish to apply for this position, please send the following:
- Your CV
- A one page cover letter outlining why you are suitable for this position
These should be sent by email to the IBT Director Mark Galloway firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is 5pm on Thursday April 14th.
If you have any questions about this role, Mark will be available to answer them by phone or email on April 11-14.
Interviews will take place on Thursday April 28th. Final interviews will take place on Friday May 6th.